Re: Additive time signatures

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Additive time signatures
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:42:07 +0100

On 28 Feb 2008, at 17:32, Joseph Wakeling wrote:

I was wondering more if it was possible for that to be a
generally-set preference, along the lines of "\set Staff.timeSignature
#'style = note" (that's pseudo code, obviously:-), and also how complex the resulting note could be: for example, imagine a time signature along
the lines of (again, in pseudo-notation),

\time 3/(4.~ 4)

(Basically this is a rather complicated way of writing a 15/8 time
signature subdivided into 3 beats of 5 eighth notes.)

I don't understand this notation; please explain your idea.

I don't see any reason _in principle_ why it should be impossible to
deal with such a time signature, as after all Lilypond is already
perfectly capable of dealing with weird-but-logical time signatures like
7/10.

We discussed this in the bug list - a typo in Snippets. YOu can see there how it is possible to something in that way.

The problem is if one would want to fine tune it. For example, the Bulgarian kopanitsa 11/16 may be described as 4+3+4 where 4 = 2+2. So one may want to typeset the 4 as one group or one group where the secondary beams are grouped as 2+2. Then it is difficult to get the stems in say a 1+1+2 pattern to come out right.

  Hans Ã…berg