Re: Additive time signatures

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Additive time signatures
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:53:21 +0100

On 28 Feb 2008, at 23:23, Joseph Wakeling wrote:

I was wondering more if it was possible for that to be a
generally-set preference, along the lines of "\set Staff.timeSignature #'style = note" (that's pseudo code, obviously:-), and also how complex the resulting note could be: for example, imagine a time signature along
the lines of (again, in pseudo-notation),

\time 3/(4.~ 4)

(Basically this is a rather complicated way of writing a 15/8 time
signature subdivided into 3 beats of 5 eighth notes.)

I don't understand this notation; please explain your idea.

The idea for what would _appear_ is a 3 over a dotted quarter note tied to a quarter note (hence the notation, which as I said, is pseudo- code).
 That is, a 3 over a note lasting 5 eighths.

It's not something particularly urgent for me to be able to do, but
seems like a good example of a weird-but-logical use of the
number-over-note time signature notation.

OK. I see. Strictly speaking, the time signature is not a ratio, but a multiplication. Hindemith does not use a "/" even when writing time signatures in line.

In your example
  3 x (5/8)
where (5/8) here is the written duration taken 3 times.

The problem is really to handle subbeaming. Bartok used the time signature
  4   2   3
    +   +
  8   8   8
or 9 = 4+2+3. But what is the relative strength of the metric accents? - The notation does not tell. In fact, this form of a 9-time is played in Romania, and assuming it, it should be:
     >  (>)  -
  9: 4   2   3
so a logical description might be 4+(2+3).

Then one might want to let this be communicated in the beaming. In 9/16, the first 4 should be one group, and in the 2+3 should have one common first level beam, and the second level beam should be broken between the 2 and the 3. This will make it different from the Bulgarian Daychovo 9 = (2+2)+(2+3).

So then the association between metric description and beaming starts to become complicated.

We discussed this in the bug list - a typo in Snippets. YOu can see
there how it is possible to something in that way.

The problem is if one would want to fine tune it. For example, the
Bulgarian kopanitsa 11/16 may be described as 4+3+4 where 4 = 2+2. So
one may want to typeset the 4 as one group or one group where the
secondary beams are grouped as 2+2. Then it is difficult to get the
stems in say a 1+1+2 pattern to come out right.

Have you got a link to this discussion?  It sounds interesting.  I'd
like to understand more of what has been discussed before commenting on
the problem you raise.

All mailing lists and archives are listed on
  http://lilypond.org/web/about/
The thread I started is on
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2008-02/msg00242.html
which gives a reference to the Snippets manual. Follow the thread; it is interesting. In my last post, I give s more complicated example:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2008-02/msg00242.html

  Hans Ã…berg