Re: GDP glossary question: complex meters

From: Anh Hai Trinh
Subject: Re: GDP glossary question: complex meters
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 02:34:30 -0500

> Wow ... and I don't have $295 in couch cushion change to spend (every year)
> on a subscription to Grove Music Online.  (You must get a discount

My school pays for it :p

> Wikipedia IS NOT an authoritative source ...
>
>> polymeter implies polyrhythm and therefore is
>> equivalent to your "simulatenous polymeter"
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymeter>. That term should be out!

Ok I was being lazy. The Harvard dict 4th ed. defines

> Polymeter. The simultaneous use of two or more meters.

and there you have it. The term "sequential polymeter" is a contradiction.

> ... But -- this isn't about "authoritative", it's about having a small set
> of well-defined terms to which everything else can refer to eliminate
> ambiguity.  That's what "controlled vocabulary" means.

I understand. My point is that you do not want to contradict a set of
well-established terms that trained musicians are familiar with, at least in
the Western musical tradition (which I presume lilypond builds upon).

>> * compound time sig -- this is a well established term refering to meter
>> such as 6/8, 9/8, 6/4, etc. in contrast to simple meters such as 3/8, 3/4,
>> etc.

I just wanted to point out here that coumpond time signature is also another
well-established term that means something other than what was meant in the doc.

--aht