RE: Comments in GDP, Was: comments

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: Comments in GDP, Was: comments
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:23:09 -0000

Nicholas WASTELL wrote on 29 February 2008 08:14

> Only after spending some time in lilypond-world.
> 'Getting Started' and 'User Manual' are pretty
> well de facto standards, but I like a bit of
> individualism! ;-)  Of course, the Learning
> Manual is much more than Getting Started and
> (speaking personally) I can't imagine ever
> understanding just where the dividing line is
> between LM and NR,

Not sure if Graham agrees with this, but my view
is that the NR should contain everything that is
required to use LilyPond, and so duplicates
everything that is in the LM.  The difference is
that the NR is written in a terse "reference"
style, suitable for a experienced user, whereas
the LM, in contrast, is written in a tutorial
style, with more explanation and guidance.  The
main aim of the LM is to introduce basic concepts
and while the examples it uses contain most things
a beginner would need, it makes no attempt to be a
complete reference.

So if you know what you want, but have just forgotten
the details, use the NR.  If you want to understand
something, try the LM first.

> Nick.

Trevor D