Re: Three questions about good German usage?

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Re: Three questions about good German usage?
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 08:32:25 +0100

Am 29. Februar 2008, 23:56 Uhr (-0600) schrieb Trevor Bača:
> Hi,
>
> I have three questions about good German usage:
>

> 1. Are "natürlichen Flageolettönen" and "künstlichen Flageolettönen" the
> correct terms for natural and artificial harmonics?

It is probably not wrong to use the term "Flageoletton", but we
normally just say "Flageolet", plural would be "Falgeolets" and it is
neutrum case ("Das Flageolet").

In your case I would use "natürliche Falgeolets" or "künstliche
Falgeolets". Sometimes it is written with double t at the end, but I
prefer the french spelling.

Concerning your suggestion: The "n" at the end of your
"Flageolettönen" would indicate Dativ case. As you probably don't want
that, the grammatically correct terms of your expression would be:
"natürliche Flageolettöne" or "künstliche Flageolettöne".

> 2. Is there a German term to describe the "stopped note" in an artificial
> harmonic? (In Italian we would say "capotasto" ... but I'm not sure I know a
> single term for this in English?) What I'm looking for is the note that's
> written as an actual filled, round note head (rather than the open diamond
> representing the lightly touched harmonic).

We normally say "(die) gegriffene Note".

> 3. How does German translate the interval of a twelth? Say < c' g'' >?
> "Duodezime"?

Yes, that's what we use.

Yours,
Orm