Re: problem with trills

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: problem with trills
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:20:10 +0100

2008/3/2, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden>:

>  > >Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:
>  > >>If you add \version "2.10.5"  to the snippet (yes, I really hate it
>  > >>that the snippets don't say with which version of lilypond they
>  > >>work!!!) and let convert-ly run on it, you'll get the hint:

I added a warning in the snippet's source-code as a comment.

However, this snippet was already tagged as version-specific, so it
means we were already officially aware that it had some limitations.

> I absolutely agree. Quite often, I save a snippet on disk to have it available
>  online, only to stumble upon it a few weeks/months later. Of course, at that
>  time, I have no idea any more about the lilypond version needed for the
>  snippet (and at that time, the LSR page will not help, either). If I'm
>  online, I can search the LSR again, but if I'm on a train or otherwise
>  offline, I have no way to get a correct version of the snippet.

In some cases you can update it using convert-ly, but I agree most of
the time it is not quite perfect.

However, I have to tell you that on more than 300 snippets, only 18
are tagged as version-specific (and half of them are actually
demonstrating 2.11 features, so the issue goes both ways). To be
honest, let's not forget that most of the LSR is already functionnal
:)

>  Furthermore, I really think it's counterproductive to tell everyone that each
>  lilypond file should have a \version statement (even the guide on minimal
>  examples says that a \version statement should always be included!), while
>  the "official" source of examples does exactly the opposite!

As a matter of fact, the LSR has never been as "official" as it is
now. I already submitted the idea that we should have in fact two
version of the snippets, one marked as stable and one unstable, but
you know the situation: we lack resources, we lack people, we lack
time etc.

(The search function that keeps outputing results for "ancient" stuff,
as you noticed, is another very unpleasant bug.)

Anyway, I've just sent Sebastiano a large todo-list. Let's first see
if he's available these times, then maybe we'll work with him on it.

Cheers,
Valentin