Text crescendi with hidden line and their position

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Text crescendi with hidden line and their position
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:30:06 +0100

I've run into a problem with text crescendi: I don't want any spanner lines
for the "cresc.", "dim.", "cresc molto." etc. spanners, so I'm setting their
#'dash-period to #-1.0. However, in this case, the position of the "cresc."
text is still calculated as if the line was present. In most cases that's no
problem, but if there is one "extreme" note in the whole span, the cresc.
will be shifted to a position where it is simply inappropriate.
Attached is an example of the problem.

In all hand-engraved editions that I have, the cresc. is printed directly
above the staff, although the crescendo spanner really lasts longer and
includes a high note.

Is there any way to achieve a position of the "cresc." directly at the staff
(except for using ordinary markup text, which does not work e.g. in midi (and
also breaks if/when Lilypond one day gets a MusicXML backend)?

Thanks a lot,
Reinhold