Re: Better Midi, anyone?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Better Midi, anyone?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:42:50 -0700

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:30:07 +1100
Peter Chubb <address@hidden> wrote:

> Before I start working on any of this, is anyone else doing anything
> in the area?  Most of it may be doable by scheme scripts inserted into
> the source file before calling Lilypond.

No, nobody is working on MIDI output.  We welcome contributions to
this.

> Harder stuff is interpreting the purely textual annotations.  For
> example, `poco rall', `molto rit.', `a tempo', 'Tempo I',  'estinto',
> 'sotto voce', or (some of my favourites, from a piece by Messaien)
> `perdu', or `comme oiseaux'.
> It'd be possible to translate some of these into metronome markings or
> \pppp or similar; others, I have no idea about.

> Non-notated repeats are also going to be hard (`dal segno al coda',
> `dal segno al fine')

The above points are possibly with a macro: instead of simply
moltorit = \markup{ \italics molto rit }

create something like
moltorit = ... scheme that prints out "molto rit", and tweaks
whatever options you want for your new midi code...

I'm not certain that it's worth going to quite this much trouble
-- adding articulations will likely take a few weeks.  But it's
definitely *possible* to do this kind of thing with lilypond
input.

Cheers,
- Graham