Re: beaming patterns

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: beaming patterns
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 14:52:33 +0000

>  Thanks Neil,
>  what you suggest works, but there seem to be 2 problems:

Only two? :)

Unfortunately, the autobeaming algorithm in itself isn't powerful
enough to deal with complex beaming  - you'll probably find you have
to use manual overrides such as the one I've suggested as and when
required.

>  1)now, notes are not tied together when they last longer than 3/8, which is
>  something i don't want, I would still like e.g. 12x x16 to be tied in one
>  group

I don't think you can have both of these automatically, since the
autobeamer can't distinguish between the two. I suggest reverting the
autobeam setting for 12x semiquavers and using the manual override as
required (a bit of a hassle, unfortunately, but simpler than manually
setting individual left and right beams).

>  2)there's a similar pattern to that I originally posted which it didn't fix
>  : x4.~x8. x16 x16 x16(again I want those x16 tied in a triplet)

It's working fine for me. Here's a test file:

\version "2.11.42"
\paper { ragged-right = ##t }
\relative c'' {
        \time 6/8
        %turn off default autobeaming for 6/8
        #(revert-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 6 8) 3 8)
        %use the following if you want to keep default beaming for quavers
        %#(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 6 8) 3 8)
        \set beatLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 8)
        c16 c8 c16 c c c16 c8 c16 c c |
        c4. ~ c8. c16 c c |
        \unset beatLength