Re: OrchestralLily - Some Feedback

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: OrchestralLily - Some Feedback
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:05:56 +0100

Am Montag, 17. März 2008 schrieb Ian Hulin:
> Hi Reinhold,
> I've just been trying out OrchestralLily with a a set of pieces I have
> been arranging for a Flute Quintet. Here is some initial feedback:
>
>    1. Beaming - the parts default to "vocal/choral" beaming rules, not
>       appropriate in instrumental parts with quavers/eighth-note  values
>       and smaller.

Ah, right, I typically write the beaming manually (or the lilypond music comes
from a music scanning application and was converted with musicxml2ly, which
also inserts beaming automatically), so I set autoBeaming = ##f in a layout
block... You can simply create your own \layout block and set autoBeaming to
true there...

\layout {
  \context { \Score
      autoBeaming = ##t

I'm thinking of splitting the package up anyway, in particular, since a full
score will typically have other default settings than an instrumental score,
and a vocal part will have different settings again.

>    2. Bar  numbering  -  for my parts (but maybe not in scores) I'd like
>       to keep the default Lily bar numbering at the start of each new line.

Right, that's a matter of taste. Of course you can change that like you would
in any other score (OrchestralLily just changes some settings, but lets
Lilypond do it's usual job, using all settings that you use in any other
score, too). It's just that the orchestralLily package sets some different
values from the default in the \layout block, s you can simply override them
in your own \layout block again:

\layout {
  \context { \Score
      \override BarNumber #'break-visibility =  #begin-of-line-visible
      barNumberVisibility = #first-bar-number-invisible

>    3. Time signature - should there be a XXXTimeSignature  property  we
>       could set for a piece if there's not any polymetric stuff going on
>       in the piece?

Actually, the various variables for clef and key signatures evolved exactly
the other way round: First I had only one variable XXXSettings, where I could
apply various piece-wide settings at the beginning of the staff. Then I
realized that some staved needed a bass clef, so I separated the XXXClef
variable out. Then I wrote a piece with a horn part (transposing
instrument...), so I needed a different key signature (I wrote the horn parts
in display pitch, not concert pitch, and used \transposition to make cue
notes appear and MIDI sound correctly). I simply haven't encountered a
situation where I could not put the time signature directly into XXXSettings,
so I didn't see any need for a separate XXXTimeSignature variable (which
could be overridden on a per-instrument basis)...

>    4. Please implement transposing soon!

If you write your parts in display pitch and use \transposition, you don't
need an explicit \transpose...
Sooner or later, I'll definitely add transposing, but right now I have a lot
of work to do on the documentation build system (switching to texi2html
instead of makeinfo.

Cheers,
Reinhold