Re: do these notes exist?

From: Michael David Crawford
Subject: Re: do these notes exist?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:11:20 -0700

I learned a scale with double-sharps just the other day. Let me see... Key of A# Minor. From Scales and Arpeggios for Keyboard by Palmer, Manus and Lethco, page 52:

A# Harmonic Minor:

   A# B# C# D# E F# G## A#

A# Melodic Minor, Ascending:

   A# B# C# D# E F## G## A#

Now, F## is G natural, and G## is A natural. But my understanding for the odd double-sharp and double-flat notation is that convention calls for every letter - ABCDEFG - to be present in every key, with enough sharps or flats added to make the intervals right. Without that convention, the harmonic minor would be:

  A# C C# D# E F# A A#

So you see, C and A would occur twice, but with different accidentals. That would probably be confusing in an actual score if it was notated that way.

--
Michael David Crawford
address@hidden