Re: do these notes exist?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: do these notes exist?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:39:30 +0100

On 24 Mar 2008, at 12:16, M.v.Strien wrote:

I almost feel too silly to ask :-), but do these notes exist at all in music/musictheory?

The notation with sharps and flats derives from transpositions of a diatonic scale in fifths, and for rational intervals (like the Pythagorean tuning), it continues indefinitely. In 12-ET, notation can be simplified using enharmonic equivalence, and this simplification is necessary on orchestral harps, which do not have pedals for double-sharps and double-flats.

I have found it useful to use 31-ET in Scala <http://www.xs4all.nl/ ~huygensf/scala/> to figure what happens in a system where enharmonic equivalence is not true. This temperament emphasizes the intervals 5/4 and 7/4, though on the expense of the pure fifth 3/2, making it good to understand Just Intonation.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/31_equal_temperament
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Intonation
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_tuning

  Hans Ã…berg