Re: do these notes exist?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: do these notes exist?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:52:21 +0100

On 24 Mar 2008, at 19:11, Michael David Crawford wrote:

I learned a scale with double-sharps just the other day. Let me see... Key of A# Minor. From Scales and Arpeggios for Keyboard by Palmer, Manus and Lethco, page 52:

A# Harmonic Minor:

   A# B# C# D# E F# G## A#

A# Melodic Minor, Ascending:

   A# B# C# D# E F## G## A#

Now, F## is G natural, and G## is A natural. But my understanding for the odd double-sharp and double-flat notation is that convention calls for every letter - ABCDEFG - to be present in every key, with enough sharps or flats added to make the intervals right.

It is not merely a convention (except in 12-ET, see below) - it becomes that way in a temperament other than 12-ET.

Write the pitches in the circle of fifths:
  Fbb Cbb Gbb Dbb Abb Ebb Bbb
  Fb  Cb  Gb  Db  Ab  Eb  Bb
  F   C   G   D   A   E   B
  F#  C#  G#  D#  A#  E#  B#
  Fx  Cx  Gx  Dx  Ax  Ex  Bx
here written the on several rows: left/down.

Then transposition in fifths moves set of pitches left/down. So, for example A harmonic minor consists of the pitches A B C D E F G#. To transpose A A #, just move the whole set down one step.

Without that convention, the harmonic minor would be:

  A# C C# D# E F# A A#

So you see, C and A would occur twice, but with different accidentals. That would probably be confusing in an actual score if it was notated that way.

In dedicated 12-ET music, it odes not matter how one writes it. But in often, instruments are expect to adjust towards a temperament where it matter, in Western music, Just intonation. So in such case, enharmonic equivalence is not formally applicable.

Also, the notational system does not derive from 12-ET, so if one does not adhere to what is a convention in this temperament then, one may have to throw in some extra temporary accidentals.

  Hans Ã…berg