Re: choir music, easy piano reduction and dynamics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: choir music, easy piano reduction and dynamics
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 14:22:25 +0200

Arjan Bos wrote:

On 31 mrt 2008, at 14:59, James E. Bailey wrote:

I'm wondering if there's an easy way to generate a piano reduction from a choral piece but without all of the dynamics. The choir parts all have their dynamics, but the piano part shouldn't. And the handy snippet I found generates a piano part with all the dynamics showing.

I know this won't help you with an already finished score, but recently I've started to put all my dynamics in a separate Voice which contains only dynamic marks and spacer notes.
Are you sure that you want them to be in a separate Voice context?
This can result in alignment problems, see for example
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-04/msg00136.html
I would rather propose to add them to the same Voice context as the
actual music. You can still use separate variables for the music and the
dynamics if you so prefer. However, in this particular case, there have already
been other solutions proposed that are at least as convenient.

  /Mats