Re: choir music, easy piano reduction and dynamics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: choir music, easy piano reduction and dynamics
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:25:15 +0200

Paul Scott wrote:
Arjan Bos wrote:

Ah, that makes more sense! However,  to me the dynamics are part of
the whole piece of music and should be attached at Staff level, not at
Voice level. So that's why I put them in a separate Voice.
Musically, you are of course completely right in most situations. However, it
may still be better to include them in an existing Voice context in LilyPond
for technical reasons.
Adding the Voice context wrapper just restricts the possibilities.  A
simple example of what I usually do is:

music = << \timing \musicnotes \dynamicspart >>

where \music will be a voice or the contents of a staff or whatever.
My concerns remain if "whatever" is a Staff context, i.e. if you somewhere do
\new Staff \music
since then LilyPond will implicitly create separate Voice contexts for \timing, \musicnotes and \dynamicpart. In version 2.10 and earlier, this could result in collisions between dynamics and notes. This is solved in 2.11, but you could
still hit the bug that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Mostly, it's a good thing that LilyPond silently creates all the necessary contexts, but sometimes this can lead to very surprising and confusing results, where the only solution is to explicitly create the corresponding context yourself to get the
desired result.

  /Mats