Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 65, Issue 34

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 65, Issue 34
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:50:42 +0300

Hi
Karl Hammar wrote

Trevor Daniels wrote

Karl Hammar wrote

8.5 Transcription of ancient music

Why not call it "Editing" or "Making an edition", but transcription is
also fine.

I think we'll stick with "Transcription" - it seems closer to the action
being performed by those working with ancient music, who usually
want to preserve the original as faithfully as possible, rather than
editing it.

Ohh, I might have misunderstood the word (transcription) but I thought
it ment converting to modern notation.

Maybe "transliteration"  is closer to what I meant, although "transcription"
means changing the medium while preserving the content.  It was "editing"
I didn't like - which implies a change to the original content, rather than
its representation.

I still like transcription, that's what I call an edition with modern notes. Well, I agree, its edition and transcription, but still. Or then, Transcribing, as it is now.

5.2 Incipits and Mensurstriche-layout

Theese are different beasts, should they not be in seperate sections.

The incipit is an pre part showing the clefs, mensuration signs, the
first few notes etc. so we can get a fealing of the transcriptions
source, but still read on in modern notation.

Mensurstriche is a way to include (or a substitute for) "bar lines"
for sources that didn't contain them, but without splitting the notes
and/or rests that are "syncopated" over the bar lines the editor wants.

OK, thanks. I'll split that section into two

Yes, I also go for that, now, even though I am afraid the mensurstriche section will be really short.

Instead of Musica ficta, which are notes not in the regular hexachords,
I suggests a section for editorial markings. Which includes suggested
accidentals, slurs, different rhythmic (like french barock)
interpretation.

Happy to add Editorial markings for ancient music as an additional
section, incorporating 5.4, if someone volunteers to send me suitable
text for it, but I can't write this stuff myself :(

I would be happy to help, but I'm kind of busy. Please hand me
something to work on in that case.

Thanks.  Might not be for a week or two, as all NR 2 will have to
be re-arranged first.

So in Draft 8 of NR 2 headings let's change to

   .5 Transcribing ancient music (new)
     .1 Ancient and modern from one source
        [Here among others the snippets about reducing note length]
     .2 Incipits (new)
        (clefs, mensuration signs etc from lsr and -user)
     .3 Mensurstriche-layout (new)
        (lsr and -user)
     .4 Transcribing Gregorian chant (new)
        (extract from 1.6.1.1)
   .6 Editorial markings
     .1 Suggested accidentals
        (2.8.4)
     .2 Suggested slurs (new)
        (new - KH?)
     .3 Suggested rhythmic interpretation (new)
        (new - KH)

How does this look?

I don't know, what these slurs mean, I came up with the following editiorial items:

1. annotational accidentals
2. ligature brackets  [I think they should be here, and not together with the ligatures]
3. Barock rhythm indication

1 is the same as 6.1, maybe 2 is the same as 6.2 (?), and by the topic 3 is the same as 6.3 .

Suggested accidentals sounds good, but the others I wouldn't call "suggested", since they are about how to interpret the notes, not an addition/suggestion by the editor as the accidentals are. So I would go for:

6.2 Brackets indicating ligatures" or "Ligature brackets"
6.3 Rhythmic Barock notation -- or something the like.

Hopefully this doesn't get now too complicated - I guess issues will clear up when we are actualy working on that section.

Greetings
Till

/Karl

Trevor D