Re: OOoLilypond instilation problems and coding help

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: OOoLilypond instilation problems and coding help
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:18:00 +0100

Thanks again, Mats.

Actually, I did try it myself, and was fooled into thinking it worked by not reading the error messages and just looking at the pdf output. I'd carelessly left the pdf open from the previous run with the \new DrumVoice statements in, so it wasn't changed and when I opened it again it looked like it had worked. :(

Ah well, we now all have a good explanation which I can use somewhere in the manuals.

Trevor

Mats Bengtsson wrote
Trevor Daniels wrote:
Hi Levi

You have taken this example from a section of the manual which has not been updated recently, and I can see why it might be confusing - if you remove the two statements which create the Voice contexts the example still works perfectly in the more recent versions of the LilyPond.
No! If you try it yourself, you'll see that it fails. The reason that these lines are needed here is quite intricate and has to do with the fact that you want two DrumVoice contexts, not ordinary Voice contexts. The <<{...} \\ {...}>> construct that's used here, will automatically create two Voice contexts named "1" and "2", if these don't already exist. If you explicitly defining contexts with these names yourself, then LilyPond will use these two contexts in the <<{...} \\ {...}>> construct. This trick is used here to fool LilyPond to use DrumVoice contexts instead.

  /Mats