Re: Number over the percent repeat?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Number over the percent repeat?
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:56:33 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 9. April 2008 schrieben Sie:
> Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> >>
> >> It's the second example in the 2.11 docs.
> >
> > While we are at it: Is there something similar for long tied notes and
> > for rests over multiple measures?
>
> Good question! The following attempt didn't work ;-)
> \set restNumberThreshold = #0 R1*5

No, because that's no what I'm after. What I want is something like:

R1^"1" | R1^"2" | R1^"3" | R1^"4" | R1^"5"

only that it should not look like some ordinary text markup, but like the
multi-measure rest numbers. You see this every now and then in old
hand-engraved sacral pieces. I admit that the first time I saw this, I was
confused why they had multi-measure rest numbers 1 and 2 above the rests
(i.e. I first thought it was three measures rest instead of two), but once
you know that, it can be quite useful.

The thing is that if you want to transcribe old editions as close as possible
to the original edition, you'll need something like that. I probably wouldn't
use it in a new edition, though.

However, for long tied notes, this is still used today and quite useful:
Something like:

c1~^"1" | c1~^"2" | c1~^"3" | c1~^"4" | c1~^"5" | c1~^"6" | c1~^"7" |
c1~^"8" | c1~^"9" | c1^"10" |

Again, the numbers should not look like text markup, but rather like
multi-measure rest numbers. And I don't want to count the notes manually ;-)

Cheers,
Reinhold