Re: constructing a jazz piece

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: constructing a jazz piece
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:11:27 +0000

Stan Mulder wrote:
David Bobroff <bobroff <at> centrum.is> writes:

What I do is to put road-map stuff (key changes, time changes, repeats, segnos etc.) in a 'global' block. Then I combine that with parts for the individual part scores, and with the top staff in the main score.

David,

Is there an example somewhere?

Stan

Don't know if there's a simple example in the docs. What I do looks something like this:

global = {
        \key c \major
        \time = 4/4
        s1^\markup{\bold "Allegro"}
        s1*8 (you need skips to place your things in the right place)
        % etc.
}

sax = \relative c' {
        %saxophone stuff
}

trombone = \relative c {
        % trombone stuff
}

% The score for the two voices above:

\score {
        \context StaffGroup  <<
                \global
                \context Staff <<
                \sax

                \new Staff <<
                \trombone

}

% Score for a part:

\score {
        \context Staff <<
                \global
                \sax

}

You can put all sorts of things in the 'global' block like rehearsal marks, too.

-David