Re: OCR to Lilypond

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re: OCR to Lilypond
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:41:05 -0700

Finale and Sibelius have OCR plugins or addons, and I've used one of them as a demo (I'm 99.9% sure it was Sibelius) and it was atrocious. It would take longer to fix all its mistakes than it would to just enter your music from scratch, I think. Maybe the version you buy is better than the demo but I doubt it. I can't imagine anyone buying it after using the demo!
Myriad (the makers of Harmony Assistant) have a program called PDF-to-Music that does pretty well, but then you're stuck with the file in their closed-source format.
I'd be interested to know of a non-proprietary music OCR program as well. Good luck.

Tim Reeves