Re: New behaviour with --output= option ?!

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: New behaviour with --output= option ?!
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:23:12 +0200

Am 18.04.2008 um 10:21 schrieb Simon Bailey:

hi luc,

On Apr 16, 2008, at 7:34 PM, Luc wrote:
new  behaviour with version 2.11.44 (windows xp)

IIRC, when invoking lilypond, the option --output=folder directed all output
files to the specific folder.

Now this has changed: If I run "lilypond --output=myOutput C: \myFile.ly" and
there is no folder called "myOutput" I get 2 files:

myOutput.pdf and myOutput.ps in the folder where lilypond was running,

but if a folder exists with the name "myOutput" I get 2 files:

\myOutput\myFile.pdf and \myOutput\myFile.ps in that folder

what's the logic or intention?

iirc, this was always the way lily handled the output option. indeed, looking at the documentation for lily 2.1, the command line option --ouptut=FILE is described: "Set the default output file to FILE."

after running across this once or twice in larger projects i had an alias set up which checked if my default output directory exists and made it otherwise, then called lilypond. (btw, lilypond 2.11.42 [on mac] shows the same behaviour as you describe above).

regards,
sb