Re: GDP: end singleton lists with a period?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: GDP: end singleton lists with a period?
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:36:55 +0100

John Mandereau
Le samedi 19 avril 2008 à 14:59 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 16:31:05 +0200
John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm sorry to give higher priority to technical aspects, but references
> must be followed by punctuation in Info format, so please keep periods
> at the end of all lists ending with a @ref, even singleton lists.

I'm not at all sorry to give higher priority to technical aspects,
but are you sure about this?  I just tried it, and info didn't
complain.

Section 8.6 @ref in Texinfo 4.11 manual says @ref must be followed by
punctuation because it's a limitation of Info file format, but a quick
test shows that this limitation has already been eliminated in both
makeinfo and Info readers (Emacs and info standalone).

Well, that's good news, you can do the way you want in English.  In
French and in Spanish, we'll stick with one period at the end of all
lists; I'm tempted to do the same thing in English, but my opinion is
definitely not valuable when it comes to English grammar :-p.

I'd now go for terminating all lists, even singleton one, with a period.
It is arguable whether this is incorrect in English.  Thinking about it
further, I think the statement, "It's not a sentence, so it can't have a
period", is a bit too glib.  I suspect this is meant to refer to things
like exclamations (which should end in an exclamation mark).

Whatever, I withdraw my objection.

Cheers,
John