Re: Adding notes above drumstaff

From: Stan Mulder
Subject: Re: Adding notes above drumstaff
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 15:58:41 +0000 (UTC)

As a drummer I've struggled to find a way to write drum kicks as well. Another
term may be "rhythmic cues". This technique can be seen in almost all the drum
parts of modern stage band music.

Just clarify this further for others, the technique is to have a single line of
small notes above the drum staff (on the G or A line in treble clef) that
indicate rhythms the horn section is playing. It's an optional cue for the
drummer to ad lib something that emphasizes what the horns are playing to give
it a kick.

This document
(http://learningcenter.berklee.edu/downloads/handouts/finaleDrumNotation.pdf)
says the following:

Kicks Over Time
If you want the band to
accent a certain rhythm,
are not concerned with
which specific drums are
played, and want the
groove    to    continue
without going into stop
time, you can add the
rhythm on top of slash
notation.

This page (http://www.jazzuk.demon.co.uk/html/nestico.html) shows the
following:
"Cues on the drum part are to let your drummer know what is going on in the
orchestra...he needn't try to "catch" every nuance."

I'm having trouble finding a graphics example online. If I had a piece of stage
band music I could make a scan...