Re: syntax error SCM_TOKEN?

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: syntax error SCM_TOKEN?
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 20:15:13 +0200

Craig Bakalian wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I found the problem. The init.ly file helped me. There was a strange ascii shape at the end of my file. Weird.

Craig Bakalian

These kind of errors annoy me to death since I'm using a Mac.
Lily, LaTeX, several compilers; everything complains about the
typographic whitespace characters which are simple to type in on a Mac.
Haven't figured out all the keystrokes, but as far as I know, you can
type non-breaking spaces, en and em-spaces, and may be others (line
breaks?) with great ease. Of course, all of them are specified in UTF
and, thus, wrote as such into plain text files, and you can't
distinguish them in most editors, especially using a monospace font.

I don't see hope for LaTeX fixing this in the short term; but since at
least Lilypond is made to deal with Unicode, it would be nice if those
characters could be handled by the parser as what they are - whitespaces.

For the meantime - anybody knows how to convince Smultron to mark those
characters? Or, even better - is there a program which temporarily shuts
off typographic character shortcuts for the whole system?

Alexander