Re: Help getting started with Danny Boy

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Help getting started with Danny Boy
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 08:44:32 +0200

Am 04.05.2008 um 03:44 schrieb plasmacarwash:

Dear James,

Actually I was wondering, once we set the time signature and choose which
value our notes will be (half, quart, eighth) -does the program
automatically create the desired bars?
The appropriate measures?
I assume it does after that input.

Kinda. Assuming all of your bars are compete, then you'll have no problems. What makes lilypond good is that it does all of the layout, you just tell it what you want. If, however, you have \time 4/4 d'4 d'4 e'2. | or \time 4/4 d'4 d'2 | Lilypond will have problems, and the more I think about it it, the more I like that.

Also I need help fetching a "vertical squiggly line" and an "upside- down fermatta" within http://home.earthlink.net/~markdlew/shw/ DannyBoy.htm Mark
Lews adapt.  :confused:

That's a common musical symbol for harpists and keyboard players, arpeggio. you get that by adding \arpeggio to a chord. See section 1.3.3.2 of the 2.11 documentation.

Lastly,

I was perusing the template(s) for piano and voice.
I wonder how that looks when done?
Do I just load up all the lyrics I have already within the "voice" section?

There are several ways of adding lyrics. for a simple song like this, probably the easiest way would be to first make sure the vocal part has all of the ties, "~" and slurs, "( )" needed to make sure all of the syllables that are sung over more than one written note are grouped together. e.g., cal -- ling in mm. 7 needs to be fis'8( e'8) cis'4~ cis'8. so that you can use the simple \addlyrics function directly after your music in your lilypond file. For example \score { {fis'8( e'8) cis'4~ cis'8 e'8 gis'8 a'8} \addlyrics {cal -- ling from glen to} } would give you mm. 7

I expect that section to be pretty disproportionate compared to the
remaining few sections left in the template provided.

Also, Kieren MacMillans help has held its own, so, I'm ok with the
'horizontal spacing" issue from yesteryear.

Thank-you James.

-Jay Peek

I would also suggest using the 2.11 documentation if you aren't already, it's a bit easier to read, certainly more thorough, and makes using lilypond a lot clearer.