Re: Help getting started with Danny Boy

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Help getting started with Danny Boy
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 09:01:26 +0100

Jay Peek wrote

In addition, I read somewhere that there are 4 basic books to the "manual".
The "learning manual" is different than 10 mos. ago, true?

True!  The Learning Manual in particular has been
largely rewritten since then and is the place to start.

The manuals for the development release (2.11.xx)
are not yet complete, but already they contain much more
than the manuals for 2.10 and, in the main, apply just as
well to recent earlier releases.  You can find them from
http://www.lilypond.org by following the link to the
documentation for 2.11.xx.

The four manuals are:

Learning Manual - intended to be read sequentially to
 teach you how to use LilyPond.
 Chapters 1 & 2 for early users
 Chapters 3 & 4 for more advanced topics

Notation Reference - for experienced users who want to
 look up something or who want to see all the detail
 about a topic.

Application Usage - how to install and run the programs

Music Glossary - mainly to translate music terms into
 other languages, but also useful as a general glossary
 of music terms.

Nonetheless, I had a split motive:
1) I did kinda want a magic wand to blast this job out and be done with it.

In my experience no music typesetting program can
do this for you, unless you have very low expectations.

2) I kinda dream of having a writing proficiency with Lilypond.
Thinking about Lilypond though gives me a strange glee throughout my days.
If I can add it to the way I write, that would be awesome.

The Learning Manual should give you this, with a
little effort on your part and the will-power to
work through it from the beginning.  If while doing
this you come across something you do not understand
after a reasonable amount of thought please post to
this list saying what and where it was, so we can
improve that section for you and others.

-Jay Peek

Trevor