SATB, Was: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 66, Issue 11

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: SATB, Was: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 66, Issue 11
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 15:15:35 +0200

Frederick Dennis wrote:

Dear All,

I'm trying to set an SATB hymn with separate vocal staves and a piano accomp. duplicating the voice parts
(sop. - stem up,  alto - stemdown etc.)
I hope you have seen the "SATB vocal score and automatic piano reduction" template in the manual, (documentation for version 2.11 -> Learning Manual -> Templates).
Where do you insert \stemUp or \stemDown?
The easiest is to replace
           <<   {  \soprano  } {  \alto   } >>
by
           <<   {  \soprano  } \\ {  \alto   } >>
and correspondingly for the left hand stave. See section "Single staff polyphony".
Also, I would like to have a bracket for the vocal parts.
See
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Staff-groups#Staff-groups
and
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Grouping-staves#Grouping-staves

The other problem is
when I type cis for c sharp or fis for f sharp, I get "string error".
The file you include below contains the line
\include "english.ly"
which tells LilyPond to use English note names instead of the default Dutch note names.
Just remove that line if you want to use cis, des, and so on.

I have been through the tutorial and have searched the documentation.
I hope you have looked in the documentation for version 2.11. Even if you happen to use version 2.10, the manual for 2.11 is heavily revised and improved, especially the Learning Manual (what used to be called the Tutorial) and almost all of it applies equally
well to version 2.10.

   /Mats