Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 66, Issue 11

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 66, Issue 11
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 15:34:22 +0200

Am Montag, 5. Mai 2008 schrieb Frederick Dennis:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm trying to set  an SATB hymn with separate vocal staves and a piano
> accomp. duplicating the voice parts
> (sop. - stem up,  alto - stemdown etc.)
> Where do you insert \stemUp or \stemDown?

I would use \voiceOne and \voiceTwo, which set stem directions and other
things, as well.

>             <<   {  \soprano  } {  \alto   } >>

I would rather do something like

 <<
    \new Voice="SPiano" { \voiceOne \soprano }
    \new Voice="APiano" { \voiceTwo \alto }

I.e. I would explicitly create different voices and set voiceOne/Two for them.

> Also, I would like to have a
> bracket for the vocal parts.

Use a ChoirStaff, just like you use a PianoStaff for the piano.

i.e. simply add a \context ChoirStaff << .... >> around all the vocal staves
in your score!

> The other problem is
> when I type cis for c sharp or fis for f sharp, I get "string error".

You include english.ly, which defines "cs" or "csharp" as names for c sharp,
but NOT "cis"!

Cheers,
Reinhold