Lyric representation in MIDI?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Lyric representation in MIDI?
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 16:33:00 +0200

Perhaps some of you have MIDI expertise enough to answer the following question.

Currently, LilyPond uses a separate track (and channel) for each Lyric context to output the corresponding lyric syllables, so that players like timidity (and certainly several other "Karaoke" like players) can print the lyrics on the screen while playing the music. Using one track for each Lyric context seems like a waste, especially in examples like the "All ye People Clap your Hands" posted earlier today on lilypond-user, where the same lyrics is repeated below each stave for readibility reasons. However, even otherwise I don't really see the point of separating the different lyric lines into separate tracks/channels.

Is there any possibility to lump all the lyrics into a single track/channel, perhaps even in the control track (track 0) so that the remaining 14 channels can be used for the actual music (one channel per Staff context, by default)? Because of the lack of standardization of MIDI, I guess you would have to try a number of different sequencers and MIDI players to make sure that this works as expected, or perhaps some of you have experience enough to
answer the question anyway?

As far as I can see, there are no channel number indications in the lyric messages in the generated MIDI files, which according to my reading of http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2003-10/msg00069.html
indicates that they actually should be placed in track 0.

For songs with several verses, I guess the lyric printouts won't make any sense, no matter how
we place the information in the MIDI files.

   /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering