Moving a hairpin horizontally

From: Kim Bastin
Subject: Moving a hairpin horizontally
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 22:20:58 +1000

What's the override for moving the ends of a hairpin horizontally? I need to start one a little to the right of its default position because it collides with a cross-staffed note. But I can only find information about moving hairpins vertically. I tried this:

\once \override Hairpin #'X-offset = #1

but this moves the whole hairpin, offsetting the right end too. It's such a simple matter there must surely be a simple solution, but I'm stumped.