initial .ly files [was Re: *.mid vs *.midi]

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: initial .ly files [was Re: *.mid vs *.midi]
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 00:24:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hans:
> On 17 May 2008, at 22:15, Karl Hammar wrote:
> > I would be nice to be able to do like
> >
> >   lilypond a.ly .. o.ly z.ly
> >
> > i.e. treat a.ly .. o.ly as if they where included in z.ly, without
> > having to say so in z.ly.
>
> This would walk down the path of C-like compilers.

Is that a bad thing?

Actually what I would like is some way to tell on the command line that
this run should have /ancient fonts/c-clefs/modern clefs/... so I could
easily switch style without having to write a new file.

> Have you checked out Haskell <http://haskell.org/> and the compiler
> GHC? - Haskell has a module system, which makes it possible for GHC
> to compile by
>    ghc --make a.hs
> where "a.hs" is a file containing a "main" function. By the module
> system, it is possible to deduce what files to include. One then only
> needs to set the library paths somewhere.

There is some kind of "library path" in lilypond to find e.g.
"gregorian-init.ly" which I don't have in the current directory.

> Convenient, though perhaps far from current Lilypond.

Regards,
/Karl