Re: initial .ly files [was Re: *.mid vs *.midi]

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: initial .ly files [was Re: *.mid vs *.midi]
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 01:12:07 +0200

On 18 May 2008, at 00:35, Karl Hammar wrote:

If one has more that one file, .lilypond could be made into a
directory instead. Various programs use this setup.

The problem with this is if you want to share your lilypond files, then you migth have to include all your .lilypond directory, and some things
in there might conflict with other users .lilypond/*.

I think such things, like environmental variables too, have a potential for creating problems, and are complicated to set up. A module system is there to help avoiding name clashes. Then somehow the library path needs to be set to tell where to find the top directory of the different module hierarchies. Usually there are some fixed places that comes with the compiler installation, like in /usr/ local/lib or /usr/local/share/ on BSD like UNIX systems. Then the user might want to add some. I think the best way is to do it on the command line, but some may want to set an environmental variable.

  Hans