horizontally aligning columns in \fill-line

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: horizontally aligning columns in \fill-line
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 17:30:15 +0200

In one of my scores, I'm writing two pages with the lyrics of a mass, together
with the corresponding German/English translations. I'm using
\fill-line {
  \column{"Latin text"...}
  \column{"German text"...}
  \column{"English text"...}
}
to generate the three columns. However, since the mass has 6 pieces, I want
the columns of all six text blocks to line up nicely. Currently, each
\fill-line is layed out by itself, so the German and English translations are
not properly aligned at all.

Attached is the lilypond code and the output, where one can easily see what I
want (look at the English translation of Kyrie and Gloria...) The PDF is too
large to attach, so I uploaded it to our server:
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/temp/Test_Messe_Lyrics.pdf

So, how can I fix the widths of the columns in the fill-line construct or
synchronize them?

Thanks,
Reinhold

PS: I had to insert \noPageBreak at every possible point, because without
them, lilypond would always decide it wants to start the real score on an
even-numbered page and stretch the lyrics to three pages, even if that means
that one page contains just one or two lines (e.g. only the headline)!!! I
have no idea how to get around this problem, either...

PS2: Is there any way to set something like ragged-bottom=##t only for the
current page? It would suffice to have some \vfill construct, which simply
takes up all the remaining space on the page. This would do away with the
need to insert lots of \markup\null to prevent really ugly stretching of text
paragraphs...