Re: *.mid vs *.midi

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: *.mid vs *.midi
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 12:14:44 +0200

On 19 May 2008, at 11:27, immanuel litzroth wrote:

You can check the whole formal grammar of C++ processing on page 307 of the standard.

It is of a formal grammar, since it odes not define a sentence symbol, nor does it specify context dependencies. For the formal definition of a grammar, see books on compiler construction, for example Waite & Goose, "Compiler Construction".

The "language proper" is a term I could not find in that document. Can you give me the page of that document that describes this "language proper"?

The book by the principal C++ designer BS, "The C++ PL" says a C++ implementation contains a preprocessor capable of macro substitution, conditional compilation, and inclusion of named files.

A source file in C++ has according to the definition in the standard no preprocessor run on it. They are then converted to "translation units" through a number of steps which also includes preprocessing. This preprocessing is completely and formally defined in the language

This is what I am saying: one runs the preprocessor to get a translation unit, which then define what I call the "language proper".

That is how I recall it - consult experts on the exact setup in those newsgroups.

Yes, Haskell has a import and module system which is more
sophisticated than C/C++ include and namespace.

Here's what Simon Peyton Jones, John Hughes, Phillip Wadler and Paul Hudak have to say about the Haskell Module Sytem: "The module system is a namespace control mechanism, nothing more and nothing less" "The result is a module system distinguished by its modesty. It does about as little as is possible for a language to do and still call itself a practical programming tool" I think your time is better spent explaining to them what a sophisticated tool they have created.

So what does that statement imply about order of module imports, making sure one is not loaded more than once even called for, in the module declarations and recursive modules?

  Hans