RE: how to get a sheet with chord names only?

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: how to get a sheet with chord names only?
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 16:33:13 -0600

Oh -- I see.  The snippet sets voltaOnThisStaff, which is no problem, but the
Volta_engraver doesn't do anything with it.  That's why the snippet still works.

> > And how does one specify where the volta bracket goes now?
> Some people (like  me) prefer the chord names and fret
> diagrams over the volta bracket; others prefer them under.
> We need to be sure to retain that functionality.
>
> By moving the Volta_engraver to the context(s) where you want
> it to appear:
>
> % default, chords below volta
> \score {
>   <<
>     \chords {
>       c1
>     }
>     \new Staff {
>       \repeat volta 2 { c'1 }
>       \alternative { c' }
>     }
>   >>
> }
>
> % chords above volta
> \score {
>   <<
>     \chords {
>       c1
>     }
>     \new Staff \with { \consists Volta_engraver } {
>       \repeat volta 2 { c'1 }
>       \alternative { c' }
>     }
>   >>
>   \layout {
>     \context {
>       \Score
>       \remove Volta_engraver
>     }
>   }
> }

IMO, this is an unfortunate change in syntax.  Most piano/guitar/vocal music
has the voltas above the musc staff but below the chord and fret diagram
"staffs".  I guess we can learn how to do it (you've given the example here),
but it's certainly a _lot_ more complex than the old syntax.

Carl Sorensen