Conditional footers, dependent on a page mark?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Conditional footers, dependent on a page mark?
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 23:53:23 +0200

In printed scores, there are typically a few pages of introduction and then on
the first real score page, the footer displays the copyright notice.

I'm trying to implement this in lilypond, too, using the \on-the-fly approach,
together with the concepts taken from Nicolas' fancy-headers.ily package.
Now, this appears to work quite well: For each page, where the copyright
notice should be shown in the footer, I add a page-marker and then compare
its page number with the current page number in the procedure passed to
on-the-fly. However, there is one problem left:
Even if there is no markup generated by the on-the-fly procedure (because the
current page does not have the page-mark set), vertical space is reserved for
the \on-the-fly markup.

Attached are my current tests, where you can see on the second page that there
is always space reserved for the copyright notice, even if it's not printed.

Is this because the on-the-fly procedure returns a stencil containing
`(delay-stencil-evaluation ,(delay (ly:stencil-expr....))), which is of
course not equal to an empty stencil (or at least, it cannot be decided until
the labels and then the stencil is evaluated)? In this case, is there any
workaround?
Or am I doing something else wrong?

Cheers,
Reinhold

PS: I'll be doing the same also for the score number, printed in the footer,
except on pages with a given mark, so I don't want one function to generate
all of the footer, but only some parts of the footer to make it more modular
for my orchestrallily package.

PS2: In case you are interested what all my questions are about lately and
what I really did with all the great answers and your help, I put the first
seven pages of my latest edition on our web server:
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/temp/Pembaur_VierteLateinischeMesse_LongScore_Pages1-7.pdf

As you can see, the score is really approaching print quality - at least the
introductions (modulo some spacing, because I changed the staff-size). The
score itself still needs some layouting tweaks to make it look professional.