Re: markup question

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: markup question
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:01:55 +0200

Am 06.06.2008 um 00:25 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:

Hi James,

Oh, thanks, I actually solved my problem.

When Mats said

I hope you know about the built-in capabilities in LilyPond to handle non-standard key signatures. As long as you only want to have normal flat and sharp symbols in your custom key signature, there should be no need to typeset it manually using markups.

I believe he was pointing you towards a solution more like

{
        \set Staff.printKeyCancellation = ##f
        \once \override Staff.KeySignature #'X-extent = #'(0 . 6)
\set Staff.keySignature = #'(((0 . 5) . -1/2) ((0 . 2) . -1/2) ((0 . 6) . -1/2))
        \clef mezzosoprano
        \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'X-extent = #'(-4 . -0.5)
        \grace { s1 }
        \once \override Staff.Clef #'full-size-change = ##t
        \clef tenor
        \once \override Staff.KeySignature #'rotation = #'(180 0 -.43)
\set Staff.keySignature = #'(((0 . 1) . -1/4) ((0 . 4) . -1/4) ((0 . 0) . -1/4))
        s1
}

While it's a few more lines of code than yours, it is "more correct", musically speaking.

What I mean by that is, my code really *has* changed the key signature -- so that, for example, accidentals will work "as expected", you won't have problems with transposition, the spacing of the key signature elements are consistent, etc. -- whereas your code simply makes the key signature *look* like it's been changed.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

[p.s. For the record, I didn't take the time to make sure that the second key signature change was "correct" -- if you adopt this option, you'll have to make sure that the scale tones are actually adjusted according to your wishes...]

Well, to be honest, I was actually trying to make the clef the two clefs spaced far apart enough that the key signature could be the two key signatures spaced far apart enough that the second clef would fit between them. So close, but at least now I have a little more information about x-extent