setting max-stretch to a high value still leaves some space at the botto

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: setting max-stretch to a high value still leaves some space at the bottom
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 16:21:40 +0200

Can someone please explain to me how lilypond's vertical page layout works?
In particular, I'm writing a full score with one system per page, so I want
that one system to exactly stretch to the full page. I'm doing this by
setting max-stretch to some very high value. Unfortunately, there is always
some space at the bottom left free on all pages except for the first one. On
page 1, the system goes all the way to the margins, but leave some space
between the title and the system, on all other pages, there is some space of
9.46 left over.

Attached is an example with annotated spacing. Notice how on page 1 there is
no space left at the bottom, while on all other pages there is some free
space at the botom and the system ends far above the position where it ends
on page 1...
On all pages with more than one system, there is no space left at the bottom,
which makes pages with one and with more systems look really ugly if that
happens on subsequent pages.

So, how can I make my systems really take up all the available space on the
page?

Cheers,
Reinhold

PS: PDF is too large for the mailing list, so here's the link:
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/temp/stretching1.pdf

PS2: The additional free space of 9.46 at the bottom of pages with only one
system exactly equals the sum of all "space after next-padding" on pages with
multiple pages, so maybe that space is simply reserved for spacing systems,
but someone missed the fact that on one-system pages that space should not be
reserved as space...