Re: constructing a jazz piece

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: constructing a jazz piece
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 15:48:35 -0400

Hi Bernie,

i'm happy to find a way to "globalize" rehearsal marks, double bar lines, etc.
can anyone help me figure out why my /global block is creating
a new staff below my instrument staves each time?

Your code adds the \global in its own (implicit) Staff:

         \new StaffGroup = "horns" <<
     \global
       \new ChordNames = "trpchords" \transpose c d {\harmony}

is the same as

         \new StaffGroup = "horns" <<
     \new Staff \global
       \new ChordNames = "trpchords" \transpose c d {\harmony}

You need to COMBINE the global stuff with some other staff's music -- see the trumpet staff in the attached (modified) code.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.11.47"
global =
{
        \time 5/4       \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-letters
        \tempo 4=108
        s1^"Intro - open" s4 | s1 s4 |
        s4 \mark \default s1 |
        \repeat unfold 7 { s1 s4 } \bar "||"
        s4 \mark \default s1 |
        \repeat unfold 7 { s1 s4 } \bar "||"
        s4 \mark \default s1 |
        \repeat unfold 6 { s1 s4 } \bar "|."
}
harmony = { c'' }
trumpet = { c'' }
tenorsaxone = { c'' }
trbn = { c'' }
piano = { c'' }

%% and then later on in the score block

\score
{
        <<
                \new StaffGroup = "horns"
                <<
                        \new ChordNames = "trpchords" \transpose c d { \harmony
}
                        \new Staff = "trumpet" << \global \trumpet >>
                        \new ChordNames = "tenorchords" \transpose c d {
\harmony }
                        \new Staff = "tenorsaxone" \tenorsaxone
                        \new ChordNames = "chords" \harmony
                        \new Staff = "trbn" \trbn