Layout for dummies (fixing staves distances in a system)

From: Jayaratna
Subject: Layout for dummies (fixing staves distances in a system)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:00:35 -0700 (PDT)

Dear members,

I am reading this forum since sometimes, as I am doing my first steps in
Lilypond.

I am making a score in which I have two systems of eight staves each per
page (I managed to do that by setting page size to a3 and shrinking it to a4
on printing it: I guess it's not really proper, but I still have to figure
out how to change staves and font size, but this is a different problem).

Lilypond keeps stretching and narrowing the space between staves, so that my
systems are floating up and down on different pages.

I found some explanations about this already here in the forum, but, as my
english is not good enough and my knowledge of Lilypond is limited, I'd need
some more help.

Here is my score block:

%*****************************Score***********************
\score {

        \new StaffGroup <<
                \new GrandStaff
                                <<
                                \new Staff { \flautoa}
                                \new Staff { \flautob}

                \new GrandStaff
                                <<
                                \new Staff { \Violinoa}
                                \new Staff { \Violinob}

                \new Staff { \Viola}
                \new Staff { \Continuo}
                \new PianoStaff << \cembalo >>

        \layout{
                \context {
                        \Score
                        \override BarNumber #'padding = #2
                        %#(layout-set-staff-size 8)

How do I get fixed spaces between staves in this code?

I am running Lilypond 2.10.33.

Thanks for your help,
Andrea