Re: substitution with \movement

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: Re: substitution with \movement
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:21:39 +0200

May I chime in a bit here? This prodding of the scheme interpreter is one of the few things I do not like in the lilypond syntax. I do love LilyPond and as a programmer at heart, I adore its syntax. However, as a programmer, it is my duty to let the computer do the work instead of the user. This resonates badly with the scheme intergration in the lilypond syntax. To my mind, it should be possible for the parser or lexer to do a lot more work so that the scheme interpreter is woken-up automatically instead of being prompted by a token in the syntax. This will result in a much cleaner .ly files.

I'm sure we've all had that feeling. Starting of with typesetting a simple melody and then enhancing the lay-out bit by bit until the notes are buried underneath a stack of lay-out commands. I do my best to separate lay-out from content, but there are situations where this is either not possible (like in fingering instructions) or not advisable (like with the dynamics). Opening up one of my guitar scores, I am daunted by the fact that it looks so complicated that I need lots of comments not to get lost.

I am fully aware that it will be a lot of work on the developers side to implement this. But please consider it. Let it burn on the back- stove for a while, let it stew and when you are ready, please consider implementing it. It would make the source-code of our nice looking scores so much simpler to read. (And yes, I did consider doing it myself, but I'm more a COBOL-guy ;-) )

Kind regards,
Arjan