Re: minimumVerticalExtent & minimum-Y-extent

From: Risto Vääräniemi
Subject: Re: minimumVerticalExtent & minimum-Y-extent
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:31:33 +0300

2008/4/8 Mats Bengtsson :

>> \layout  {
>>  \context {
>>    \Lyrics
>>      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(0 . 0)
>>  }
>> }
>>
>> was 'working'.
>
> Yes, but as you have seen, it redefines all Lyric contexts in the score.
>>
>> Now, how do I keep the 'above default spacing' for the first verse?
>
> To do settings for only one specific instantiation of a context, use the
> \with construct:
> \new Lyrics \with {\override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(0 .
> 0) }
>  { Here comes the ly -- rics }

I noticed that \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent works
with lyrics only in certain conditions.

If the lyrics start at the beginning of the piece it works. However,
if there's a rest before the music and the lyrics begin the
minimum-Y-Extent doesn't seem to work anymore. The global setting
works, of course, but the explicit settings for single voices don't.

Here's an example... There should be a huge gap on top of the first
lyrics. There's not. The setting works with the second lyrics.

%%%% Begin %%%%
\version "2.11.48"

{
    <<
    % Remove the R1 to apply the minimum-Y-extent.
    { R1 c'2 c' }
    \addlyrics {
        \override Lyrics . VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent =
        #'(-0.5 . 20) Tra la! }

    { c'2 c' c' c' }
    \addlyrics {
        \override Lyrics . VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent =
        #'(-0.5 . 5) Tra la la la! }

}

It could be that I'm not using the setting correctly. If that's the
case, could someone point me in the right direction?

-Risto