Re: minimumVerticalExtent & minimum-Y-extent

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: minimumVerticalExtent & minimum-Y-extent
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:30:03 +0200

Risto Vääräniemi wrote:
2008/6/13 Mats Bengtsson :

\lyricmode has nothing to do with it. It just tells the part of Lilypond
that interprets your .ly file, that anything within the \lyricmode{...}
should be treated syntactically as lyrics and note as note names.
What you probably mean is that happens with \lyricsto.
However, Trevor just showed you how to do it together with \lyricsto.

I used a wrong term, sorry. However It would be nice to be able to
make such a setting inside the \lyricmode (and the \lyricsto would
interpret it correctly). As I said earlier I can use it but only if
the music and lyrics start at the beginning of the piece.
Let me try to explain what happens. Properties like minimumVerticalExtent are only read when an object is created. In this case, the object in question is the "VerticalAxisGroup", which is responsible for reserving space for the lyric line. This object is created as soon as you create a Lyrics context, so any property setting that should have an influence has to happen exactly at the "same time" as the Lyrics context is created, not later. If you do
\new Lyrics { \lyricsto "somevoice" { \override ... }},
then the \override will not take place until just before the first syllable. This means that if your "somevoice" music starts with a rest, then the \override will happen after the Lyrics context
was created, i.e. too late to be noticed. If you instead use
\new Lyrics { \override ...  \lyricsto "somevoice" { ... }}
or (as Trevor proposed)
\new Lyrics \with { \override ... } { \lyricsto "somevoice" { ... }}
then the \override will happen early enough to have the desired effect.
Please read Trevor's answer ones more, he showed you exactly how to do this.

Yes, he did I must admit.
Sorry, it was me who didn't read carefully enough. What I had in mind was different spacing for different lines of lyrics, whereas you talked about different systems of the same line of lyrics. An alternative of what you originally proposed, which allows for some more fine-tuning, is shown in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-09/msg00454.html

There are also more advanced possibilities available. I hope you have read all the subsections
related to vertical spacing, in the manual.

    /Mats