transpose notes to new key?

From: Mark
Subject: transpose notes to new key?
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:21:50 +1000

hi all ..warning noob.

transpose notes to a new key?

This is also hard to define so please bare with me.
OR bypass the words and go straight to "Problem" at the bottom.

Im using python and lilypond to create a bunch of key signature images. (png)
that is: a bass clef, staff with appropriate key designators and a root
note,3rd,5th and 7th to help show which notes are in the key.
(not only am I a lilypond tadpole but also new to music and
trying to learn bass
guitar)

The idea being to help me learn the key signatures.
The resulting images are simply slideshow like displayed and I try to
remember/play them. I also hope to
release this to the mnemosyne project as a flashcard deck.

DETAILS:
So I use python to iterate through a list of keys. Major and minor.
Inserting the keys into a lilypond text file format. (template below)
Then I run lilypond over those files and get it to create png images..
lovely little snippets of each key signature.

Lilypond template file example Db minor
%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.11.49"
\sourcefileline 0

{
\clef bass
\key des \major
\transpose c des {
c e g b
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Python replaces the text "des" and "major" with other keys and "minor" as it
iterates over the key list.
Then the problems arise.
I use transpose to produce the R,3,5,7 note progression to match the key.
All this works beautifully!!
But does not flatten the 3rd and 7th as expected when its a minor.
Of course it cant . Transpose only shifts pitch it is unaware
of key.

PROBLEM:
Keeping notes within the staff?
If I use relative the notes tend to stay within the bounds of the staff.
Perfect thats what I want. I dont require a progression in pitch.
I just want to display the important notes of the key wherever they may lie.
As long as they are within the limits of the staff lines.
Why? this helps me to also learn/reinforce note positions on the staff.
Relative is not used in the above example, but I have tried it in various
positions. It either creates an "unexpected" error or is negated by the transpose.
Transpose unfortunately pushes notes above or below the 5 main staff lines.
I would really like to avoid this.

Transpose notes to a new key?
Also transpose does not take into account the change in key from
the cegb (major)given to the c ees f g bes needed for correct minor intonation.
is there a lilypond way of solving this or do I calculate the transpose and
altered minor major adjustments in python and simply insert the notes into the
lily script.