Re: not-so-ancient flags

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: not-so-ancient flags
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:21:33 +0200

Am Dienstag, 17. Juni 2008 schrieb madhg:
> Valentin Villenave wrote:
> > I'd be ready to add this as an Enhancement request; can you find a
> > better picture please?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Valentin
>
> Good, thank you.  These are all keyboard music, scanned from published
> facsimiles (which are clearly produced and don't need transcribing).
>
> C. P. E. Bach Fortsetzung ... Sonaten 1761

Actually, adding different flags in lilypond is quite simple: Simply use
    \override Stem #'flag-style = #'flagstylename
and lilypond will use the characters "flags.flagstylename[ud][3456]" as flags.

Now, to implement straight flags, all one has to do is to create glyphs named
flags.straightu3, flags.straightd3, etc.!

Attached is a first attempt to do this, plus a sample file showing the
new "straight", the "mensural" and the default flag styles. The PDF of the
sample file can be found at:
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/temp/test_straight_flags.pdf

I'm encountering two problems:

1) The glyph "flags.straightd3" is not found by lilypond (although it exists
and appears in the PDF!), so it cannot be properly positioned... The error
message is:
test_straight_flags.ly:13:9: Warnung: Fähnchen »straightd3« nicht gefunden

2) I'm using y_mirror_char; to create the flags for downwards stems, but it
seems that in this case the outlines are not properly merged (i.e. the stem
and the flags are not AND'ed), but instead XOR'ed, as the attached screenshot
of the glyph shows (I opened the otf file in fontforge). If I don't use
y_mirror_char, all the outlines are properly merged...

Cheers,
Reinhold