Re: not-so-ancient flags

From: madhg
Subject: Re: not-so-ancient flags
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:50:19 -0700 (PDT)

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> Actually, adding different flags in lilypond is quite simple: Simply use
>     \override Stem #'flag-style = #'flagstylename
> and lilypond will use the characters "flags.flagstylename[ud][3456]" as
> flags.
>
> Now, to implement straight flags, all one has to do is to create glyphs
> named
> flags.straightu3, flags.straightd3, etc.!
>
> Attached is a first attempt to do this, plus a sample file showing the
> new "straight", the "mensural" and the default flag styles. The PDF of the
> sample file can be found at:
> http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/temp/test_straight_flags.pdf

Looks pretty good. Just one comment: in the 18th century prints, the
horizontal extent of the flag is comparable with the note-head, maybe
slightly smaller.  In your sample I think the flag is rather smaller (right
now my browser can't access the pdf file).  I think the note would look
better with a larger flag, as well as more like the 18th century examples,
from quite carefully engraved and elegant editions.

Anyway, congratulations and thanks for this quick response to my suggestion!

David Griffel