Re: not-so-ancient flags

From: luis jure
Subject: Re: not-so-ancient flags
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:50:58 -0300

on 2008-06-19 at 16:21 Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

>Actually, adding different flags in lilypond is quite simple:

great, actually i've been wanting to ask this for a long time, but not
related to old notation styles but rather to more "contemporary"
practices. it has been quite common for the last 50+ years to use
straight flags. see the attached image from stockhausen's zeitmasze
(1956). note also that the straight flag also applies to the
acciaccatura.

>Now, to implement straight flags, all one has to do is to create
>glyphs named flags.straightu3, flags.straightd3, etc.!

i guess i have to apply your patch (and werner's) to the sources and
recompile lilypond, right? is it OK to patch against 2.11.49 sources?

another question: i find your flags a bit small (and too slanted)
compared to the example from stockie's score (see attached image). how
can i modify the file to get what i want? i guess the relevant lines
are:

+straight_flag_angle = -37;
+straight_upflag_length# = .65 black_notehead_width# + stemthickness# /
2;
+straight_downflag_length# = .833 black_notehead_width# +
stemthickness# / 2;
+straight_flag_thickness# = 0.5 staff_space#;

how do you proceed? by trial and error, modifying those values,
compiling and looking at the results? please excuse my ignorance, but i
know nothing about programming.

thanks for your attention,

lj