Re: syntax question

From: V!ctor Adán
Subject: Re: syntax question
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 01:18:13 -0400

good question. I found this in the docs:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-big-page#Contexts-explained

"The Master Of All Contexts ==========================
* Score This is the top level notation context. No other context can contain a Score context. This context handles the administration of time signatures. It also makes sure that items such as clefs, time signatures, and key-signatures are aligned across staves. You cannot explicitly instantiate a Score context (since it is not contained in any other context). It is instantiated automatically when an output definition (a \score or \layout block) is processed. (it should also be made clear somewhere what the difference is between \score and \Score)."

If I understand correctly, Score is a context. It is what we use inside a \layout{ } block to define Score context properties, while \score is a block delimiter (topmost _expression_) just like \layout{ } and \book{ } are. See http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-big-page#File-structure

Not sure why the docs say "You cannot explicitly instantiate a Score context..." though. What does this mean? The following works without Lilypond complaining:

\version "2.11.45"

\new Score {
   \new Staff {
      \new Voice{ c'8  d' e' f' }