Re: wordwrap inside markuplines?

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: wordwrap inside markuplines?
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:32:18 +0200

Le 24 juin 08 à 21:41, Kieren MacMillan a écrit :

Hi Reinhold,

Here you really need to use \column-lines...

I was trying that... but it doesn't seem to work either.  =\

So, basically, each \markuplines should typically be followed by
\column-lines, and the contents of \column-lines should either be individual lines or lists of lines generated by \wordwrap-lines, \justified- lines and
the like.

The following crashes my copy of Lilypond:

\markuplines \column-lines \fontsize #-2
{
        \line { [TANTALUS and PELOPS are whispering loudly.] }
\line { \italic { "PELOPS: " } Father, I must speak with you in confidence. }
        \line { \italic { "TANTALUS: " } Yes. }
\wordwrap-lines { Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text Long text ends here }
        \line { \italic { "TANTALUS: " } Wow… that sux. }
}

Am I *still* doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

It is not crashing (because of a programming error), but it is
failing (due to erroneous input). The error message is not the
most explicit one, but it gives a hint: something expect a stencil,
whereas it is given a list of stencils.

As Reinhold explained, the problem here is that you try to apply
a markup command, \fontsize, on a list of markup, whereas it accepts
a single markup. Thus you can write:
  \fontsize #-2 \column { \line { bla } \line { bli } }
because \column {...} is a single markup, but you cannot write:
  \fontsize #-2 { \line { bla } \line { bli } }
because { \line { bla } \line { bli } } is a list of markups (two
line markups).

The solution has been provided by Reinhold: write a \fontsize-line
markup-list command.

nicolas