Re: best practices

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: best practices
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 01:19:47 -0400

Hi Valentin,

Not only have I read them too

There you go, Graham: at least two people have read your "best practices" docs! ;-)

I don't think the docs are incomplete, I think *we* are, as LilyPond coders. I'm afraid all of us are actually making history right here, right now.

Translation:
The documentation needs to be MORE COMPLETE than it is now, based on the trails WE are blazing with our "unprecedented" scores.

There is no reason that any Lilyponder -- especially a newbie -- should have to reinvent the wheel on something as common (in Western chamber and orchestral music) as instrument doublings. For the record, I'm happy to write the final documentation... but I still feel that the discussion thread should stay open for a while, to make sure all options have been considered and the best practice(s) have really been identified.

I think we need to confront our practices, our trial-and-error
practices etc. to get a better point of view on this.

Agreed... which is precisely why I've been posting these discussions! =)

Cheers,
Kieren.